Eyes for East Africa UK is a UK charity [No. 1053222]. We exist solely to support the care and treatment of blind and partially-sighted people who are treated by the Kwale District Eye Centre on the south coast of Kenya.
Did you know?
- Worldwide one person goes blind every five seconds.
- One child goes blind every minute.
- Of the 45 million people who are completely blind, 90% live in the developing world.
- In Kenya the rate of blindness is 10 times that of the western world.
- One person in every hundred is totally blind, but 80% of this is preventable, over half is due to cataract.
- The ratio of ophthalmologists to the population in Kenya is in the region of 1 : 500, 000 and they are concentrated in the cities. In UK the ratio is around 1 : 70,000.